Surrender to Greatness
The Christian is one who has made that commitment spoken of yesterday.* The Christian has received the message of the gospel and – more than that – has believed Christ to be Whom He said He was, the Messiah, Saviour of souls, Lord of all: God in flesh. The Christian has invited the Spirit of God to indwell him and God has been true to His Word and begun a transformative work in that person… a rebirth… not natural, or by human resolution, but a rebirth sparked and maintained by God.
The Christian walks with an awareness of “Christ within them, their hope of glory.” (see Col. 1:27). The One Greater than all angels or demons, the One Greater than anything one might imagine now lives within the Christian. As John remarkably understates “Greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world.” (1 John 4:4).
The Christian is now a “little Christ” in this world. “We have this treasure in earthen vessels,” wrote Paul (1 Cor. 4:7). Our effort is small, but that Greatness of God at work within us can multiply that small effort times upon times, Jesus Himself has told us “He who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do.” (John 14:12).
It is all about our surrender of what we have into the hands of that One who is Greater, our Saviour.
Scripture has multiple examples of this. Here are just a few…
• Surrender some waterpots – Jesus fills them with wine (John 2:1-12).
• Surrender a small lunch – Jesus multiplies it to feed 5,000 (John 6:1-14).
• Surrender a face washing – Jesus honors the obedience with restored sight John 9:1-7).
• Surrender a closed tomb stone – Jesus causes the dead man inside to live again (John 11:38-44).
• Surrender a donkey – Jesus makes it His chariot (Matt. 21:1-11).
• Surrender a spare room – Jesus makes it a place preeminent (Luke 22:7-12).
• Surrender a fishnet – Jesus fills it with fish (John 21:1-14).
What will you surrender to Jesus today?
* see yesterday’s blog
To hear Pastor Andrew’s complete message, go to the Lincoln Baptist Church website and look under ‘Sermons Online’ for the Jan. 5 message.
One thought on “Tuesday, 1/7/20 – Pressing on…”