Seven steps on water…
The Bible does not tell us how many steps Peter took toward Jesus when he stepped out of the boat and onto the water that long-ago day (see Matt. 14:25-32). But he did take a few steps before his eyes left Jesus and looked again at the waves. And we know that together they both walked back to the boat. With each miraculous step Peter was putting his full weight upon something which his mind said was impossible to support him.
All “steps of faith” are like that: battlegrounds of divine faith and human reason.
In his message on Sunday Pastor Andrew referenced The Baptism with the Holy Spirit by R.A. Torrey. In chapter three of this book Torrey presents the following seven steps to fullness of the Holy Spirit. All are either stated or implied in Acts 2:38.
“Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 2:38).
R. A. Torrey’s seven steps to fullness of the Spirit
1. Repent – Change your mind about Christ. – Acceptance
2. Repent – Change your mind about sin. – Renunciation.
3. Be Baptized – Make a public profession of faith in and obedience to Christ through water baptism.
4. Obey – Make a total surrender of your will to the will of God.
5. Desire – intensely and in purity to be filled with the Holy Spirit.
6. Ask – Appropriate the Spirit by asking to be filled of Him. “…how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” (Luke 11:13)
7. Believe – “’Have faith in God,’ Jesus answered… ‘I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.’” (Mark 11:22…24)
All of God’s gifts are good. We need not fear any of them. He is a Good, Good Father.
Someone once said, “We have as much of God as we want.” — How much of God do you want?
To hear Pastor Andrew’s complete message, go to the Lincoln Baptist Church website and look under ‘Sermons Online’ for the Sept. 29 message.
One thought on “Wednesday, 10/2/19 – Pressing on…”